Presentations & Publications
❇ Preparing Students for the Day After Graduation: How We Succeed, and How We Struggle (ALA Annual, (June 29, 2013, 4:30-5:30PM, Chicago)
(details and materials forthcoming)
❇ Life After “Life After Meebo: Evaluating Virtual Reference Services for Your Library in the Post-Meebo Virtual Environment” (ALA Midwinter, Jan. 2013)
No sooner were the University of Memphis Libraries about to choose Meebo as their virtual reference platform than Meebo was sold and we, like many actual users of Meebo, found ourselves scrambling for a new plan. We needed to evaluate what alternatives were available, what was affordable, what pitfalls and shortfalls each platform presented, and what our needs were, to better serve our users and gather critical usage data. Recently, we selected a service that we believe meets all our needs. To kick-off the RUSA/MARS Virtual Reference Discussion Group’s Midwinter meeting, we will discuss our investigation and evaluation of chat and text platforms, and our next steps now that we’ve chosen a platform.
❇ What Teachers Can Learn as Students in MOOCs
What Teachers Can Learn as Students in MOOCs (Global Education Conference, 11/14/2012)(Link)
A conference presentation about the value of enrolling in a MOOC as a student, when you are a teacher/instructor/faculty member.
❇ Life After Meebo: Evaluating Virtual Reference Services for Your Library in the Post-Meebo Virtual Environment
Life After Meebo: Evaluating Virtual Reference Services for Your Library in the Post-Meebo Virtual Environment (Library 2.012 Conference, Oct. 2012)(Link)
Just as you're ready to commit to a virtual reference tool...Meebo is no longer an option -- what else is out there and what's best for you?
In Library Worklife:
● Cantwell, L. “The term or temporary position and making the most of a short time (Part 1).” Library Worklife, 9 (6). Retrieved from http://ala-apa.org/newsletter/2012/06/10/the-term-or-temporary-position-and-making-the-most-of-a-short-time-part-1-of-2/
● Cantwell, L. “The term or temporary position and making the most of a short time (Part 2).” Library Worklife, 9 (7). Retrieved from http://ala-apa.org/newsletter/2012/07/07/the-term-or-temporary-position-and-making-the-most-of-a-short-time-part-2-of-2/
● Cantwell, L. P. (2014). Maximizing STEM education initiatives on a minimized library budget. CODEX, 2(4): 45-71. (See: http://journal.acrlla.org/index.php/codex/article/view/83)
In Internet Learning:
● Landry-Hyde, D. & Cantwell, L. P. (2013). Virtually yours: Online embedded librarianship in higher education. Internet Learning, 2(2): 21-37. (See: http://www.ipsonet.org/images/Westphalia_Press/ Internet_Learning_Journal_2-2/2.%20Landry-Hyde%20%20Cantwell%20-%20Virtually%20Yours.pdf)
● Cantwell, L. P. (2013). MOOL in a MOOC: Opportunities for Librarianship in the Expanding Galaxy of Massive Open Online Course Design and Execution. Internet Learning, 2(2): 47-82. (See: http://www.ipsonet.org/images/Westphalia_Press/Internet_Learning_Journal_2-2/4.Cantwell-22MOOL22_in_a_MOOC.pdf)
In Flag Research Quarterly:
● Knowlton, S. and Cantwell, L. P. (in press). “Armorial banners for U.S. states: a proposal for flag designs.” Flag Research Quarterly. 1(1): pages TBA.
● Printing Services in Libraries, with Beth Ashmore (Samford University) and Sara Morris (University of Kansas).
● Maximizing STEM Education Initiatives on a Minimized Library Budget (solo project).
● ...Something on Librarianship, MOOCs, and Information Literacy (solo project, for Online Education -- new, Oxford & Wiley -- they are planning a special issue on librarianship.
● ... Another Online Education publication, this time in collaboration with Denise Landry-Hyde (Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi).
● ... Possibly a collaboration with Kathryn Oberg (College & Career Librarian, Arlington Public Library), regarding librarianship (public & academic) and career prep/advising efforts.
● Hopefully an article for IRSQ about the "Life After Meebo" stuff Dr. Pam Dennis and I have done over the last year.